Creative Media, Design, Photography and other related things.

Personalie

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Ethics of Design

When it comes to ethics, the whole world knows that design originality is in fact, the most important thing ever. But we know there are people who look around to find some kind of idea/inspiration to apply to their design. That is actually pretty good, especially for design newbies so that they learn the techniques or styles to gain experience. Indeed, there are many designers who make that as a practice to explore and improve their design skills.

However, there are some who do not even think about the ethics of design. Easily said, there are people who probably do not have the real passion about arts and design, or even haven't got a clue on how to start, and what they do is just copy the actual one and tweak it a little bit. It is OK if the tweak is major and results in overall change of design because that would mean the designer just needed some style to begin with.

Here's a snapshot of a blog that copied and tweak-a-little Personalie's theme design.



Gosh, now Personalie has got a slimy green variant. You can witness this yourself at his blog, unless he already changed the design when you view it. Well that's really up to the blogger himself if he changes his mind to produce an original design of his own.

Apart from all that, there's a funny story behind it on how I found out about this. The blogger probably copied some part of my layout CSS and pasted it at his own template. Somehow the background image of the widgets is still referring to the WCL address, which AwStats showed there is a hit coming from his blog. I am uncertain whether that was intentional, or not. But on the bright side, someone digs my layout design but that someone probably hates purple and pink.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not here wanted to condemn or judge ur post, im here just to put my point of view in your case here.
As far as I'm concern, the personalie you are talking about is not label as copyright protected or even reserved under the name of your signature or anything related with copyright. It's your responsiblity to protect what you do not like people to steal(like use encryption to your source code or wtf you wanted to use.)

It's public as I know you did edit this theme from someone else work. And dont pretend to be smart by claiming other's yours. Stop pretending!

Keep blogging and do what you like. Respect other blogger as they have thier own right to use what ever theme as they like as long as the theme doesnt have copyright protected.

Shafiq said...

Well there's nothing to worry about actually. It didnt matter to me because I said nothing about copyright infringement or any sort. But what you should know is about design ethics, nothing lawful involved there.

It is however not my duty to protect viewable data as HTML codes for example, but instead it is ethical for a user to not just make copies. It is also a dumb action to encrypt the content of the page because it happens on the client side. Decryption is possible.

I do respect other blogger and that's why as I mentioned in my post that I did not mind either if he wants to use that, that is if you have read it thoroughly.

Another thing that surprised me is that the image is referenced to my server. But yea, not the blogger's fault eh?

Anonymous said...

there'is a lot of other blog did have image refer from other server. and none of them do make a statement like this.

It's just annoying to read. that's all.

Shafiq said...

Err. Could we focus on design ethics back? Not about copyright stuff? It's just isnt really good to copy without that much of information knowing that the public themes released are not like that. As I discussed in my post, it's really important to be original when it comes to design. However you made a point, so now onwards I am putting a copyright over the images referring from my host ;). Thank you!

bem69 said...

yo shafiq, I'm with you on this one. Its all about ethics of design, you don't need copyright labels just to announce its yours, but I guess for 'some' people, when there's no label, means its ok to steal. That's just like saying if a car doesn't have the owner's name, you're free to drive that car as much as you wish. I guess then, you're free to drive that car anyway and anywhere you want it. Heh, Yeah right.

The thing that really pissed me off though, is how he's still using your server bandwidth. Now that, is just a bit too much.

Personally? I find it flattering when someone copies your work, and I find it even more flattering when someone credits you. Its all just about respect.

I saw the other blog, and his interesting comments. I say, just copyright your works now, if that is what you need to prevent smartasses from justifying their stealing of your graphic design or server bandwidth.

And oh, I personally like personalie's design. Keep it up.

chrisshee said...

interesting points. ethic's a hotly debated issue nowadays. we can't skip ethics in even the tiniest subject matter. well we all know there's ethical limitations and ethical dilemma out there in the real world. and here's just a living example. at least you guys managed to resolve the problem intelligently. impressed by that. well i definitely learned sth here. =P